Born on 4 June 2002, Kaylen Frederick began racing cars in 2016 as the youngest open wheel racing driver in the USA SCCA Pro Series.
Racing in Honda powered open wheel F1600 cars, Kaylen entered races at PBIR & Sebring in February of 2016 at age 13. Known to friends as K-Rex, Kaylen Rex Frederick is at age 14 the youngest licensed Mazda Road to Indy & SCCA Pro Racing Driver in 2017.
At the age of seven, Kaylen began honing motorsport & racing skills career racing at Summit Point Karts in West Virginia. From there, six successful years in Karting followed, followed by season 2016 during which Kaylen stepped up to single seaters with Team Pelfrey for the F1600 Championship. Although only allowed to race a partial season due to age limits of 14, pole positions, podiums, and wins followed from June on. Training with Rob Wilson at Bruntingthorpe, England in August was followed by racing from September through November in F2000 and MRTI USF 2000 at Laguna Seca.
Away from the track, Kaylen is a gifted slalom, giant slalom and Super G ski racer, which satisfies his thirst for speed and adrenaline when not racing on asphalt.
Like many aspiring young drivers, his aim is to reach Indy Car, the Indy 500, & Formula 1 to compete for World Championships.
We started working with Kaylen at the F1600 level when he was 13 years old, and his ability was extremely evident from his very first test. Not only has he displayed a huge amount of raw speed, but he has been very impressive in how he interprets feedback and applies it out on the track. As a result, his technique and development curve are far beyond where I was expecting it to be at this stage. I firmly believe the future is bright for Kaylen, and we are looking forward to sharing success together in the future.
Jonathan Baker, Director of Team Operations, Team Pelfrey, LLC
- Nationality: USA
- Hometown: Potomac, MD
- Date of Birth: June 4, 2002
- MRTI USF Race Number: 81
- Schools attended: German School of Washington (10 years) /Herbert Hoover Middle School (8th Grade)
- Languages: English/German/French
- Career Interest: Race in Formula 1, Indy 500, & Indy Car
- Academic Interests: Aerodynamics & Automotive Design
- Active Sports: Road Racing/Skiing/Mountain Biking
- Racing Licenses: Mazda Road To Indy USF 2000 Racing License, SCCA PRO Racing License, SKUSA, Rotax MAX Challenge, WKA
- 2016 Poles: 5
- Tracks Raced (Karts & Cars): 43
- Fitness Trainers: PitFit/Jim Leo
- Favorite Kart Track: Modesto, California (Downtown Street Track)/SKUSA Pro Series
- Favorite Car Race Track: Sebring, Florida
- Favorite Race Cars: Tatuus USF-17, Pro-Mazda, FIA F3
- Favorite US Formula Car: Haas Racing/F1
- Favorite Skier: Ted Ligety
K-Rex was very impressive from the very first outing on track. What’s most impressive is his ability to transfer what he’s seen on data and video and then translate that to performance on track. He never stops finding more time and always wants more. I can’t wait to see how he develops, because he’s already at a level that’s way beyond his age and experience.
Anders Krohn, CEO, CoForce International & Mazda Road To Indy Live Television Broadcast Commentator for Indy Lights
Stay Up to Date
Please follow K-Rex through the 2017 campaign and learn about the car he drives, the team he works with, and race news & updates!
Born on June 4, 2002, Kaylen Frederick is the youngest open wheel Pro Racing Driver in the USA.